Effect of Platelet Releasate on uPA and uPAR Gene Expression in Mesenchymal Stem Cells
Background: Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) as pluripotent stem cells are able to migrate toward tumor cells and inflammation due to uPA and uPAR expression in these cells and tumor cells. Platelet relesate (PR) contains different growth factors can be used for FBS replacement in cell culture medium for in vitro expansion of MSCs in cell therapy. In this study Mesenchymal cells were exposed to PR and the expression of uPA and uPAR gene and protein was investigated.
Methods and Materials: Bone marrow derived MSCs were characterized by flow cytometric analysis of specific surface markers and osteoblastic differentiation ability. These cells were cultured in the complete medium supplemented with (10% FBS), (10% PR) and (5% FBS - 5% PR) for 7 days. The PR was prepared by adding thrombin to random donor platelets derived PRP. Expression of uPA and uPAR genes was examined by Real time PCR. uPA and uPAR protein expression was assessed by Western blot.
Results: The results showed that uPA and uPAR gene expression was increased significantly in two culture conditions including (5% FBS - 5% PR) and (10% PR) compared to 10% FBS (P<0.01). The highest uPA and uPAR gene expression was observed in (10% PR) and there were significant differences between (10% PR) and (5%FBS -5%releasate) (P<0.01). uPA and uPAR protein expression was detected in (5% FBS - 5 % releasate) and (10% releasate) culture condition.
Conclusion: Our results was stated that use of PR in MSCs culture medium enhance expression of uPA and uPAR molecules on MSCs, and probably can be increased tropism ability to tumor cells.
2. Sara, T., Mojtaba, S., Mahta, M., Parisa, N., Bahareh, N., Reza, S. and Nasrin, G. (2016) How Does the Cortactin Gene Expression Affect Breast Cancer among Iranian Females? Advances in Breast Cancer Research, 5, 142-149.
3. Jalili, A., Roshandel, E., Shenasifam, S.H.F.N., Ebrahimi, A. and Sadrabadi, M.A.R.P. (2016) Appraising the Increased Expression of p21and p53 Genes in Paraffin-Embedded Biopsy Tissues of Patients with Bladder Cancer Exposed to Mitomycin C. Advances in Bioresearch.doi:1015515/abr.0976-45184.108.40.20679
4. Jalili, A., Sadrabadi, A.E. and Yekta, S.S. (2015) Assessing the Expression of BRAF Gene in Paraffin-Embedded Blocks of Patients with Colorectal Cancer. International Journal of Biology, Pharmacy and Allied Sciences, 4, 5653-5662.
5. Mohammadi, S., Mahboubi, A., Mohammadi, M., Hedayati, M. and Jalili, A. (2017) Assessing the Anticancer Effect of the Euphorbia Condylocarpa Plant on AGS Gastric Cancer Cell Line. Gene, Cell and Tissue, 4, e41223.
6. Sadrabadi, A.E., Yekta, S.S., Fattahi, S.H., Molaei, S., Gavgani, S.P., Roshandel, E. and Jalili, A. (2015) Assessing the Decreased Expression of TP53 and P21 in Colorectal Cancer. Indian Journal of Fundamental and Applied Life Sciences, 5, 107-112.
7. Cogle CR, Saki N, Khodadi E, Li J, Shahjahani M, Azizidoost S. Bone marrow niche in the myelodysplastic syndromes. Leukemia research. 2015 Oct 31;39 (10):1020-7. Pub Med PMID:26276090
8. Khodadi E, Asnafi AA, Shahrabi S, Shahjahani M, Saki N. Bone marrow niche in immune thrombocytopenia: a focus on megakaryopoiesis. Annals of hematology. 2016 Oct 1;95(11):1765-76. Pub Med PMID:27236577
9. Azizidoost S, Vijay V, Cogle CR, Khodadi E, Saki N. The role and clinical implications of the endosteal niche and osteoblasts in regulating leukemia. Clinical and Translational Oncology. 2017:1-8. Pub Med PMID:28281084
10. Wuchou SU, Shuling CH, Tsaiyun CH, Jiannshiush CH, Chaojung TS, Chen TS, et al. Comparison of in vitro growth-inhibitory activity of carboplatin and cisplatin on leukemic cells and hematopoietic progenitor the myelosuppressive activity of carboplatin may be greater than its anti-leukemic effect. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2000; 30(12): 562-567. Pub Med PMID:11210167
11. Umberto GA, Antonio GI, Marco GP. The bad and the good of mesenchymal stem cells in cancer: Boosters of tumor growth and vehicles for targeted delivery of anticancer agents World J Stem Cells 2010; 2(1): 5-12. Pub Med PMID:21607110
12. Michael RL, Ayad ED, Derek DA, Sam MJ. Mesenchymal Stem Cell delivery of TRAIL can eliminate Metastatic Cancer 2009; 69(10): 4134–4142. Pub Med PMID:19435900
13. Jing LI, Helen K W, Law YU. Differential damage and recovery of human mesenchymal stem cells after exposure to chemotherapeutic agents. Br J Haematol 2004; 127(3):326-34. Pub Med PMID:15491295
14. Herrera MB, Bussolati B, Bruno S, Fonsato V, Romanazzi GM, Camussi G. Mesenchymal stem cells contribute to the renal repair of acute tubular epithelial injury. Int J Mol Med. 2004; 14(6):1035-41. Pub Med PMID:15547670
15. Margarita G, Joseph N, Richard T, et al. uPA and uPAR Mediate Human Stem Cell Tropism to Malignant Solid Tumors: Stem cells .2008(1)10-141. Pub Med PMID:18403751
16. Zhonghua Xue: Experimental study of platelet rich plasma optimizing Mesenchymal stem cells cultture. J cardiovascular 2006, 27: 403-5. . Pub Med PMID:17147232
17. Lange C, Cakiroglu F, Spiess AN, Cappallo H, Dierlamm J, et al: Accelerated and safe expansion of human mesenchymal stromal cells in animal serum free medium for transplantation and regenerative medicine. J Cell Physiol 2007, 213(1): 18-26. Pub Med PMID:17458897
18. Bernardo ME, Avanzini MA, Perotti C, Cometa AM, Moretta A, et al: optimization of in vitro expansion of human multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells for cell therapy approaches: further insights in the search for a fetal calf serum substitute. J Cell Physiol 2007, 2 (1): 12-30. Pub Med PMID:17187344
19. Margarita G, Joseph N, Richard T, et al. uPA and uPAR Mediate Human Stem Cell Tropism to Malignant Solid Tumors: Stem cells .2008(1)10-141. Pub Med PMID:18403751
20. Kocaoemer A, Kern S, Kluter H, Bieback K: Human AB serum and thrombin-activated platelet rich plasma are suitable alternatives to fetal calf serum for expansion of mesenchymal stem cells from adipose tissue. Stem cells 2007, 25: 1270-8. Pub Med PMID:17255520
21. Doucet C, Ernou I, Zhang Y, Begot L, Holy X: plarelet releasates promote mesenchymal stem cell expansion: A safety substitute for animal serum in cell-based therapy applications. J cell physiol 2005, 205(2): 228-36. Pub Med PMID:15887229
22. Chang MH, Kuo WW, Chen RJ, Lu MC, Tsai FJ, Kuo WH, Chen LY, Wu WJ, Huang CY, Chu CH. IGF-II/mannose 6-phosphate receptor activation induces metalloproteinase-9 matrix activity and increases plasminogen activator expression in H9c2 cardiomyoblast cells. J Mol Endocrinol. 2008; 41(2):65-74. Pub Med PMID:18495691
23. Pulukuri SM, Gondi CS, Lakka SS, et al. RNA Interference-directed Knockdown of Urokinase Plasminogen Activator and Urokinase Plasminogen Activator Receptor Inhibits Prostate Cancer Cell Invasion, Survival, and Tumorigenicity in Vivo. J Biol Chem. 2005; 280:36529–40. Pub Med PMID:16127174